- Early Intervention
- Day Habilitation
- Weekend Retreat
- Parents Day Out
- Waiver/Case Management
- Health Services
- ABC Program
- Sliding Scale Preschool Enrichment Program
Joyce DeShields – LPN
Benton County Sunshine School has nursing services available during school days. The nurses provide skilled service and are available to staff and parents in an advisory role. The nurse is responsible for developing and following health care plans for children who may have medical needs.
Some other responsibilities include:
• Attending to minor injuries and accidents the children may have.
• Provide consultation and education to families regarding the medical needs of their children.
• Provides medical treatment and care to children as specified on their care plans including monitoring vital signs, lung sounds, administering medication and tube feedings.
Each nurse is CPR and First Aid Certified.
PREVENTION / IMMUNIZATION
Each child’s immunizations must be up to date to enroll at BCSS. You will be required to furnish a copy of these records along with updates as they happen.
PHYSICAL EXAMINATIONS (Including Vision and Hearing Screens)
Benton County Sunshine School is required to have on file a record of your child’s health status. Parents are responsible to make sure the school has these up to date records.
• Each child enrolled must have an annual physical on file at the school.
• All children are required to have annual hearing and vision screens. Hearing screens are available free of charge once a month at Benton County Sunshine School. Vision screens are offered once a year. If your child is absent on screening day, you are responsible for obtaining the hearing/vision screens required for enrollment.
Only medications necessary to be given during the programming day will be given to children by our nurses. Only the school nurse or Early Childhood Special Education Teacher will administer medications.
• For a child to receive prescribed medication, a medication request form must be filled out by the parent prior to medication given.
• Medication will not be given if a medication request is not completed.
• The nurse will process medication requests.
• Only medicines given 3 times a day will be given at school.
• No over the counter medications will be dispensed without prior written doctor’s approval.
Please see attached health requirements: www.nwabcss.org/images/Health%20Requirements(1).pdf
If you have any questions about our health service program, please contact Joyce DeShields at 479-636-3190 ext.124 or